Thursday, October 9, 2008

Award for My Publisher

Sherry Chandler recently let me know that my publisher, Charlie Hughes, of Wind Publications in Nicholasville, Kentucky, has received one of the 2007-2008 Governor's Awards in the Arts. He received the award for his contributions to the arts in Kentucky. I was already happy to be one of Charlie's poets; now I'm even more so. (That's him on the right.) As is true of most, maybe all, small presses, his is a labor of love.

In addition to running his press, Charlie compiles the Kentucky Literary Newsletter, an online newsletter available for free for subscribers. It's a wealth of information and a wonderful service for those interested in the literary arts.

By profession an analytical chemist, Charlie also served for many years as the editor of Wind Magazine. When he moved into book publication, he turned the journal over to a different editor. Now retired, he devotes his full attention to Wind Publications.

Here's a short video of Charlie that was made after he received his award. It provides a behind-the-scenes look at how a small press works. I've never met Charlie in person—all of our communications have been via email—so I really enjoyed seeing his work area. I remember when he was building it. How nice to be surrounded by all those books! Look closely and behind Charlie you'll see my book, Eve's Red Dress, standing on the shelf. Towards the end of the video, you'll see Charlie taking a copy of my book, What Feeds Us, out of a box. I'll confess that those two scenes gave me a nice little thrill.

Congratulations to Charlie for this well-deserved honor.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Charlie! His press published my first book, as you know. Before I moved to Kentucky, I found about his newsletter and subscribed. He emailed me that I was the 700th subscriber and was therefore entitled to three free books. One that I picked, -- my favorite of the three -- was Eve's Red Dress, so you were instrumental in my first book deal. Charlie was even more instrumental, obviously. He accepted the book on Christmas Day, 2003, and doesn't he look a bit like Santa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom--
    I do remember this story--I love it. Love how we poets connect in such odd ways, how our paths cross over a distance of many miles. Charlie does indeed look like Santa!

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...