Monday, August 31, 2009

The Beginning of My Movie Career



I've been practicing what Todd Boss preaches (see my previous post), i.e., sitting at the computer and making a video with audio of me reading my poem, "The Fruitful Woman," from my book, Eve's Red Dress. I decided to begin with a short poem so I'd get less frustrated when things bombed and I had to begin over. But really, the whole thing was pretty easy.

I also decided that for this one I'd make a video from photos that fit my poem. So first I had to round up a boatload of photos. In the end I ended up with many more than I needed and had to do some strategic cutting. I'd previously used an external microphone to record myself reading some poems, but with my new iMac I now have a good quality internal mic so thought I should learn how to use that.

I first put the photos in what seemed like a sensible order. Then I did a voice over which could not have been easier. I wasn't satisfied with my first several efforts—frog in throat, AC kicking on in the background, too fast, etc. But that was no problem. Just delete the voice over and make a new one. Once I had one that I thought was decent, I fiddled around with the order of the photos and the length of time each would be displayed. Again, very easy. Added a credit page at the beginning and end. Sent the whole thing off to YouTube.

After I was well into this project, the new Snow Leopard arrived at my front door. This upgrade for the Mac includes a new Quick Time which enhances your ability to make videos and audios. I wanted to see how that worked even though I was already set with my finished project. Again, easy to make an audio. One problem I had, though, was saving the recording to iTunes as an audio so that it could be dragged and dropped into a movie project. I eventually figured it out, but I think that's one unexpected glitch in the new program.

Now my next project is to make a movie of me reading one of Shakepeare's sonnets. I want to send that to the Our Daily Sonnet project.


Bookmark and Share


4 comments:

  1. Great stuff; love how the images sometimes anticipate what you're going to say. I always hear your cadence in my head when I'm calibrating my own speed. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful video and poem. Love the coordination between the images and the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane -- Love what you did with your poem, and the practical notes on technique are also very helpful.

    Martha Deed

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing your process and your completed project. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...