Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Writing Resolutions


1. Write on a more regular basis. Aim for three morning sessions per week. Show up at the kitchen table. Do chores later. Or not at all.

2. Remember that bad writing is better than no writing. It doesn’t all have to be your best work. It can’t be.

3. Remember that the bad writing is clearing a space for the good writing that will soon follow. Believe that.

4. Try more forms. Maybe a rondeau.

5. Buy as many collections by other poets as you can afford. Simply congratulating someone on his or her new book is not enough. Spread the word.

6. Write at least two reviews this year. Minimum.

7. Send out queries to community colleges requesting a reading and / or workshop.

8. Be bolder about asking for an honorarium. What you do is worth something. If the answer is No, go anyhow as long as it doesn’t kill your budget.

9. Remember that reading for free is better than not reading at all. Hope to gain new readers at the non-paying venues. Hope to have a good time. Support series that are just getting off the ground.

10. Be on the lookout for new subject matter.

11. If you get a good line or phrase while watching tv or nodding off in your chair, write it down. Don’t count on your memory. That good idea will be gone by morning.

12. If your husband keeps interrupting while you are revising, politely ask him to stop.

13. Work hard for your new book. But put the emphasis on fun. Enjoy it.



Bookmark and Share


10 comments:

  1. Diane, these are great!

    I'm going to link them up to my blog.

    And #12 made me both laugh and nod!

    Happy New Year to you!
    best,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list. Thanks for giving me a few ideas to add to my own.

    Happy New Year!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas, Diane. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this list, Diane. Inspires me to kick off 2010 on the right note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I especially like #11. And #5. Happy new year of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can really relate to the not letting people (and cats) interrupt you while you're writing. That was the story of my night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring resolutions, Diane. I may need some of my own. I love how each seems so simple but they really accrue by the end.
    I like the emphasis on "fun" with the new book. I hope I can remember that with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and am enjoying it. Your resolutions are inspiring - especially for this wannabe writer and poet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane,
    Though I'm an experienced writer who's made my living freelancing for ten years, I still found your resolutions to be a great reminder of how to get and stay on track. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely inspiring list. I especially liked 1 and 2, the idea of showing up and writing and not worrying about quality or being distracted by daily chores.

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...